Thursday, September 2, 2010

EOC: Wk 8 Mr. Clean Jeans

1.HOW DO YOU WASH A PAIR OF JEANS TO KEEP THE EXPERIENCE A DESIGNER WANTED YOU TO HAVE?

If you want your favorite jeans to last a long time, don’t just treat them like any other article of clothing. A little extra care when washing your jeans can go a long way in extending their life and good looks.

The first thing to do to take care of our jeans which may be surprising to us is to let them get dirty. Don't just let them get dirty, but don't wash them. This isn't to say you should roll around in the mud, we are talking the kind of dirty that occurs with natural wear. This is especially important if we have purchased the dark stiff jeans that feel like they were over-starched. Any jeans aficionado will tell you the more you wear your jeans between washings the longer they will last and the better they will fit. This good fit not only feels better but looks better. Washing after every wear doesn't allow jeans to conform to your body. It's not unusual for some men to go a couple of months between laundering. You don't have to be that extreme, but a general rule of thumb is that washing every five wears is acceptable to keep your jeans healthy and fitting correctly.



I tend to wash my jeans in the washer machine and dry in the dryer so I can shrink out the newly worn jean fabric. This way I can get my tight fit back to how I originally had the jeans when they were first purchased. I do not care to air dry my jeans, I do not get the tight feeling back nor the softness I would get if they were in the dryer. With that said if you are wearing stretch jeans which are basically just a woman's style,wash these jeans a lot! These should be washed at least every week if not after every other wearing. The whole point of stretch jeans is a tight but comfortable fit which looks like the old 70's - 80's style without needing pliers to pull up the zipper. If you want to keep the snug fit this is a must.

Finally turn your jeans inside out and only use a regular liquid laundry detergent. Powdered detergents sometimes cling to denim and cause splotches or hard spots on the fabric after drying. That holds true even if jeans are turned inside out. Never wash your jeans at a temperature higher than warm.

If I do have a pair of designer jeans I would probably wash them the same way, however I would never buy a designer pair of jeans. I think paying over $30 is ridiculous on a pair of jeans. Jeans that you wear and wear and then fall apart, and then you just re-buy again.

But I did research the proper way of washing jeans and I think I am on the right path. But if you really need to be on point the very first step to care for your jeans is simple, read the care label.

No comments:

Post a Comment